Mai Chau Mountains
Mai Chau Mountains is located in Hoa Binh province, approximately 135 km from Hanoi and 60 km from Hoa Binh.
Pictures of Mai Chau of Trekking Adventure Trips
Mai Chau is located in Hoa Binh province, approximately 135 km from Hanoi and 60 km from Hoa Binh. Hoa Binh is a mountainous province located in the North. It is bordered by Son La in the West, Phu Tho and Ha Tay in the North, Ha Nam and Ninh Binh in the East, and Thanh Hoa in the South. The culture of Hoa Binh combines six minorities first and foremost the Thai with their own languages, traditional literature, and festivals.
Thai ethnic group: The Thai has other names such as Tay, Tay Dam, Tay Khao, Tay Muoi, Tay Thanh, Hang Tong, Pu Thay and Tho Da Bac.
Customs and habits: The Thai worship their ancestors, the heavens, the earth, ban, and "Muong". They also hold rituals to pray for good crops. The Thai live in houses built on stilts. A Thai village called a Ban, comprises on average 40-50 houses built side by side. Among the Black Thai, they prefer roofs that are shaped like a tortoise carapace with decorations called "khau cuts" at each ridge. A Thai man first lives with his wife’s family for several years until the couple has a child; they then move to the house of the husband’s family. The Thai organize funerals as a farewell party to see off the dead to the other world.
Culture: The Thai language belongs to the Tay-Thai Group. They have a valuable legacy of myths, legends, ancient tales, versed stories, and folksongs. They like to sing and recite the "khap" along with the accompaniment of string instruments and a dance performance. Their folk dances such as "Xoe", "Sap", "Han Khuong", and "Con" are reflection of the Thai’s unique cultural characteristics.
Costumes: In recent decades, the men have adopted the Kinh’s clothing style, while Thai women have retained their traditional clothes which include short vests, long black skirts, scarves, and ornaments. The Thai brocade is very well-known with unique, colorful and durable motifs.
Economy: The Thai are experienced in cultivating rice and orchards. They also breed cattle and poultry, make bamboo articles, weave cloth, and produce ceramic ware.
++ Mai Chau Highlights
- From the top of Cun Mountain, one can admire the superb panorama of Mai Chau surrounded by a green valley and stilt houses. Many minorities, including the Thai ethnic group, live in Mai Chau.
- The villagers of Ban Lac and homestay:
- Stilt houses: Stilt houses border both sides of the roads. The houses are quite large with palm leaf roofs and polished bamboo-slat floors. The kitchen is located in the center of the house; the cooking as well as the making of the colorful tho cam, the material used by Thai minority to make their clothes, takes place in the kitchen. The windows are large and decorated with patterns. Each house also has a pond to breed fish.
- The Sunday market: The valley’s main village, a friendly, quiet place which suddenly bursts into life for its Sunday market.The Sunday market brings a lot of people into town. People from different minorities living in the mountains come to Mai Chau market to sell their specific products: honey, bananas, corn, and tho cam made by skilled Thai women. The Sunday market is also an occasion to enjoy traditional Thai dishes and to participate in traditional dances.
The minority specialty dishes: rice cooked in bamboo and grilled meat, Ruou Can (drink with long straws an alcoholic beverage).
- Traditional dancing, music performances (bronze, drums, gongs), and Thai minority singing and dancing.
Please to click "Mai Chau Tours" to see more pictures of Mai Chau - Vietnam
With appreciation for your: