Phung Son Pagoda
Phung Son Pagoda was established in the early 19th century by Bonze Lieu Thong.
Location: Phung Son Pagoda is located at 1408 Duong 3 Thang 2, District 11, Ho Chi Minh City.
Characteristic: Phung Son Pagoda was established in the early 19th century by Bonze Lieu Thong. Since then, it has undergone two major restorations. Many statues found in the pagoda were created by a group of craftsmen from Sa Dec. Many years ago, it was decided that it should be moved to a different location. All of the ritual objects were loaded on to the back of a white elephant for transportation. On the way to the new site, the elephant slipped and all of the precious objects fell into a nearby pond. This event was interpreted as a sign that the pagoda should remain at its original location. All of the ritual objects were retrieved, except the bell, which locals say was heard ringing whenever there was a new or full moon up until a century ago.
A number of valuable statues, such as Di Da Tam Ton, Ngu Hien Thuong Ky Thu, a stone statue of Buddha covered with gold leaves, and a ceramic statue of Tieu Dien are also found in the pagoda. The surrounding area is an archaeological site from which many artifacts were excavated, such as a baked earthen head statues and ceramic items belonging to the Oc-Eo culture. The Ministry of Culture has recognized the pagoda as a historical and cultural relic. People pray three times a day from 4 to 5 am, 4 to 5 pm, and 6 to 7 pm.
Please click "saigon trips" to see more pictures of Saigon - Vietnam
With appreciation for your: